Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Creative Practice Through The Eyes Of An Alumni Student

One of our alumni students ('08), Rebecca Volynsky, was selected as as an Honored Artist by the Women's Resource Center at Boston University. Her work is on display at 775 Commonwealth Avenue in Boston throughout the month of March 2009.

Read the artist statement below in which Rebecca describes her creative practice and how it connects to her experience with New Urban Arts. To view her artwork visit, http://rvolynsky.tumblr.com/


"The fulfillment after creating something with my own two hands is what fuels me to make artwork. The process is more about taking advantage of a variety of media (everything from screen prints to image transfers of passages from novels and poems) without even knowing what I want the final piece to exactly look like. This dissolves the pressure of creating something that solely aesthetically pleases the viewer, but eventually results in a balance of weight, energy, and personal meaning.

New Urban Arts, a non-profit studio space in Providence, Rhode Island, that provides after-school mentor programs for local students and emerging artists, gave me a space to begin my creative practice. Whenever I walked into the studio, I was practically punched in the stomach with creative energy. There are students with various levels of artistic experience, and who come from different ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds. I am strongly interested in social change, and what we can do to break the barriers between each other in order to be content and fully accepting individuals. In addition, each and every single student goes to this space to simply create.

This is what inspired me to become an artist, to come to Boston University and study graphic design and printmaking, and pursue my eventual goal of establishing a similar studio space like New Urban Arts. This is why I continue to make, because the act of creating something with my own two hands is quite possibly the most fulfilling aspect of producing artwork. I am able to give myself a voice through my art, and hope that tunnels right into the viewer and inspires them to do the same.

Creating has become a necessary aspect of my personal growth, as both an artist and a person. In fact, the word create emerges from the Latin word, creatus. This is akin to crescere, which literally means to grow. In order to grow anything, it is necessary to preserve, prune, uproot, reseed and rotate “plants”. In our daily lives, these are the conflicts, difficult situations, and challenges that must be dealt with. By accepting such issues, and what is- rather than what is not, I have been able to change, transform, nurture myself, and therefore- grow. The themes of growth, change, and the female voice are particularly evident within my work. I tend to use images of female figures, body parts, birds- all of which transform and emerge from one portion to the other, inevitably conveying symbolic elements of growth."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home