Tuesday, March 04, 2008

To Pawn Or Not To Pawn

"are you over 18?”

Saulo Castillo asked me (Jason Y.), Artist Mentor Fellow Andrew Oesch and Artist Mentor David Karoff. We asked him why and he told us about his moral dilemma. We encouraged him to write to Randy Cohen, the ethicist at the NY Times Magazine and he got a response (we have his permission to post this)!

Check it out:


Saulo Castillo wrote:

Dear Randy Cohen,

I'm 16 yrs. old and a Sophomore in high school in Providence RI. I
have a serious matter I need resolved at the moment. You see,I
found this bracelet; it's 14 carat gold, and I want to pawn it.
First off, let me start by saying I brought the bracelet to the
lost and found in my school a month ago. This was after I had asked
around to see if I could find the owner. A month later I lost my
notebook and went down to the lost and found and, sure enough,
there was the bracelet! It was still there a month later. That
technically makes it fair game in my school. Here's my dilemma; I
want to pawn it, but I don't know whether or not to make a final
attempt to return it to its owner. My idea is, if the owner didn't
look for it, maybe he/she doesn't want it. There's nothing quite
distinguishing about it, nothing that makes it stand out. No name
or address, nothing! Is it okay for me to pawn it? Or should I try
harder to return it?

Sincerely,
Saulo Castillo, The Pawn Shop Kid

Randy Cohen wrote:

You're on the right track, just not far enough along it.

Truly lost property, which can not be reunited with its owner, is up
for grabs. But simply turning the bracelet into lost and found is
not enough to qualify the bracelet for that desired status. Before
you can rightly claim it, you must try a little harder to find the
owner -- put up some signs around the school, for example, or maybe
make an announcement over the PA in the morning.

Incidentally, I wouldn't count on a big pawnshop payoff. I'm no
expert, but this does not sound like a particularly valuable item.

In short, if it's not too late for that, you said it well: try harder to return it.

RC

Saulo Castillo wrote:

Thank you! I know it must be hard for you to answer a lot of dilemmas. But thank you for answering mine. I'm actually taking your advice and I am posting fliers up. Next week if no one responds to my fliers I will pawn the bracelet. On a different note, I currently attend this after school program called New Urban Arts. They were the ones who encouraged me to send you an E-mail. They were wondering if you would be so kind so as to allow them to publish the E-mails on their blog. The sites they use are:

http://www.newurbanarts.org

http://www.newurbanarts.blogspot.com

Once again Thank You!

sincerely,
Saulo Castillo

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

ninest123 16.02
polo ralph lauren outlet, ugg boots, jordan shoes, tiffany jewelry, ugg boots, nike air max, prada handbags, nike air max, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, replica watches, cheap oakley sunglasses, replica watches, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, ugg boots, louis vuitton, louboutin, longchamp, longchamp outlet, uggs on sale, ugg boots, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, ray ban sunglasses, tory burch outlet, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, michael kors, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, nike free, burberry, michael kors outlet, nike outlet, louis vuitton, gucci outlet, louis vuitton outlet, prada outlet, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses, burberry outlet online

10:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

air force, nike huarache, north face, vanessa bruno, hermes, mulberry, timberland, michael kors, sac longchamp, coach outlet, nike roshe, sac guess, replica handbags, abercrombie and fitch, michael kors, hollister, nike roshe run, nike air max, oakley pas cher, new balance pas cher, coach purses, michael kors, nike blazer, lacoste pas cher, longchamp, lululemon, air jordan pas cher, michael kors, air max, converse pas cher, tn pas cher, louboutin pas cher, true religion jeans, north face, burberry, true religion jeans, vans pas cher, true religion outlet, longchamp pas cher, nike free, nike air max, ralph lauren uk, nike trainers, hollister pas cher, hogan, nike air max, nike free run uk, ray ban uk, true religion jeans, ray ban pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher

10:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, barbour, louis vuitton, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, bottes ugg, replica watches, wedding dresses, converse outlet, links of london, supra shoes, marc jacobs, moncler, doudoune canada goose, ugg pas cher, moncler, canada goose, sac louis vuitton pas cher, moncler outlet, swarovski crystal, moncler, hollister, moncler, coach outlet, canada goose, swarovski, canada goose, ugg boots uk, montre pas cher, thomas sabo, louis vuitton, pandora charms, moncler, pandora jewelry, canada goose outlet, pandora charms, pandora jewelry, canada goose uk, louis vuitton, lancel, moncler, doke gabbana outlet, juicy couture outlet, karen millen, canada goose, juicy couture outlet, moncler, barbour jackets, toms shoes
ninest123 16.02

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home